This Page

has been moved to new address

Truth: There's a Lot on My Plate

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Average Girl's Guide: Truth: There's a Lot on My Plate

The Average Girl's Guide

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Truth: There's a Lot on My Plate

I've been discussing with someone lately the challenges of balancing it all.
Is it even possible and what, if anything, should be sacrificed?

Work. Husband. Family. Friends. House. Life. Baby. 

These are not just words. They're my world (and many of yours, too, right?).
I'm participating again in Shell's Pour Your Heart Out blog crawl (my past discussions: weight, loneliness)because this is something that's been weighing on me and I have a feeling many of you.


That's what The Average Girl's Guide is; yet, it's fashion and food and fun and all that, but it's also this real deal stuff no one likes to address but everyone thinks.
That's what this blog is here for.... to get the dialogue going.
We'll all the same at the end of the day. Never forget that.
  
Fact: a totally awesome girlfriend (who seems to have it all!) said that she's frequently discussing the challenges of balancing it all with her gal pals. And, for those debating a baby... can it work? Can I still have my life?

Wheh, that's a lot to answer.
You're talking to a girl who in the past two years has had a baby, a life-altering illness, lost/left her job, started a new PR company AND started a blog, all while dealing with a million other random things. Oh, and with my husband still loving me at the end of it!

I wonder sometimes...
Am I doing the right thing?
Working on a blog post at night instead of spending time with my husband?
Sending my daughter to "school" (ie daycare) while building a career?
Taking good enough care of myself and staying healthy?
Caring for my family, many of whom have had more health issues than I'd like to count?

My answer?
Yes... Usually. Always? Doubtful. But... that's OK, I think.
I wish I had more time for it all, and I wish I could procrastinate a little less (damn you lure of Twitter and Facebook), but I couldn't imagine giving up this blog,
the friendships its afforded me and the creative outlet its provided when I needed it most.
I couldn't give up my career, and the desire to build a business.
I am confident that when my daughter is old enough to know, she will be so proud of her mommy.

So for those of you debating a baby?
Ask any mom: you make the time and you don't even realize it.
Except for daily the moments when I really wish she'd stop crying for a few minutes in the morning so I could sleep longer, I can't remember what I did with the moments of the day that didn't include her.

But what about my family and friends. Could I spend more time with them?
Yes. Especially fam. While I still want more time to spend with friends I realize my grandparents won't be with us forever. I'm so, so fortunate that I still have all four and that they live close. I need to visit more.
I need to travel more to see my mom (even though I just wish she'd move close already)!
I need to try to take better care of my dad, even if he frustrates me to no end.

Oh and me?
Yeah, I need to focus on me, on making the doctor appointments I need to (ya I look pretty "average" but this gal has a few pretty sucky issues you can't see in pics; more on another day), getting the sleep I need, exercising and most importantly, spending quality time with my husband and daughter whenever possible.

So while I don't do this perfectly. I'm trying. And, that's all you can do, too.
Do you feel overwhelmed with everything sometimes like me? I wonder how I can be superwoman.
I realize it does take a village and you cannot be too afraid to ask (or pay!) for help.
I have someone clean our house (usually every two weeks, sometimes more. best. investment. ever.), we hire babysitters so we can go out just the two of us or with couples and have her come early so we can get ready in peace. I'm hiring a full-time associate for my business (woohoo, HUGE step). And...

I'm taking a blog-cation.
Consider this your last post for about a week. (I'll miss you!!!) Will tell you what I'm up to when I return, except to say that not blogging (and trying to stay away from social media when possible) to give me more time to do all the things I haven't been doing.
Maybe I'll even read a book (I recently bought two -- The Help and Tina Fey's Bossypants).
Picture me like this....


Wishing you SUPER-WOMEN a sparkly Fourth of July.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2011 at 4:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    definitely can relate. no babies yet, but i feel like i am spread too thin 90% of the time! enjoy your vacation!! The Help is such an amazing book, you will love it! Bossy Pants is on my "want to read" list, let us know how it is!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 5:58 AM , Anonymous Amber- Real Girl Glam said...

    You are obviously such a busy woman and you really seem to have your priorities right. It is good to do the things that are important for your life, like starting your business, and Im positive your daughter will be proud of you!!!

    The most important thing is knowing when you need a break, so enjoy and hopefully you do get to relax and take care of yourself a little bit. Looking forward to all you have to say when you come back!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 6:35 AM , Anonymous Cadrommy said...

    I always love your Pour Your Heart Out posts! Great decision to take some time off blogging to focus on all the other things going on in your life. We'll be here anticipating your return! *hugs*

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Kristin @ What She Said said...

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who spends her evenings blogging at the expense of her marriage/husband. Well, not "glad," but at least I know I'm not alone.

    I struggle every day with balancing it all. Every.Day. I hardly ever work out anymore, despite my best intentions. And last week, I completely missed a doctor's appointment for the first time in my life. Just completely forgot about it. I haven't even called to re-schedule yet.

    As the mother of a toddler, I have less time now than I ever have before in my life, yet I seem to DO more. I started a blog, for God's sake - was I crazy? But I can't imagine giving it up now, even though it's become much more encompassing than I ever imagined. It grounds me. So, I just keep struggling with balancing it all.

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 7:20 AM , Blogger sorelle in style said...

    Hope you have a wonderful break from blogging! This was a beautifully-written post, with some advice for everyone! Not just Mommys-to-be :)

    Thanks for visiting us, your blog is lovely! We're now happily following! :)

    -j
    sorelle in style

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 7:25 AM , Blogger little luxury list said...

    You are a superstar! I never know how moms do it so well and blog (work, cook, clean, and write great posts!)

    Have a good blogcation!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

    I think you do a great job juggling it all. I'm struggling with that myself right now.

    You totally deserve a vacation and I hope you have a wonderful time!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Blogger christina said...

    great post. and THE HELP is an awesome read!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Bonnie said...

    I'm going to miss you!!!!
    I don't like leaving my blog for a couple of days -- I don't think I could do it for a week!!
    I know what you mean about balancing things. I have a difficult time balancing work, school, Mr. A, family, blog, own personal interests (dance, working out, etc.) ... The list is endless, and it is super stressful. I think we all feel this way, though. It's all about prioritizing and always, always, always making time for yourself!

    Enjoy your vacation! <333

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    New follower through PYHO.

    I think the choices are individual. For some of us the very same choices would have drastically different outcomes. We must not look to others lives and try to live like them. We must always seek out what is best for US in each given situation.

    For you...a blog free week is it! For me...not so much this week...but quite possibly the next! :-)

    Hope to see you around in the future!

    www.brewingdaily.blogspot.com

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Shell said...

    I really think that it is impossible to truly balance it all. We can all only do the best we can.

    I hope that you enjoy the week off!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

    I think your Pour Your Heart Out posts are some of my favorites! I love them, and I can 100% relate. I may not have the little one to juggle into my daily schedule, but living with a physical disability, working full time, my blog, hubby, family, friends, church, tai chi, etc. . .it's a lot, but I love it. Enjoy your blog-cation. While all of us here will miss you, you deserve it! Live it up! Take care of YOU! We'll be anxiously awaiting your return.

    http://ilookgoodtoday-jamie.blogspot.com/

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM , Blogger Heather said...

    There is absolutely no way to balance it all. This coming from a work outside the home mommy with 3 kids who play every sport imaginable. You do what you can when you can and stop trying to imagine doing it all.

    Stopping by from PYHO- enjoy your bloggy break.

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Netty said...

    Blogcation! I love it. ENJOY IT!!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 7:18 PM , Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

    You have no idea how much I can relate!

     
  • At June 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Jordan - Queen of LA! said...

    good for you! i think the week off will do you good. and we'll all still be here when you return! xoxo

    ps. bossypants was AMAZING! read it first!

     
  • At July 1, 2011 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Audrey Allure said...

    It is pretty tough trying to keep things balanced, but I also agree - I don't think I would be able to give up my blog or my career either.

    Hope you get some relaxation in; happy blogcation :)

     
  • At July 1, 2011 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous Kaye said...

    This posting so spoke to me, enjoy your blogcation, definitely read "The Help"- great book! and enjoy those that are close to you...it will rekindle that inner spark you so need right now. Can't wait for your next blog to hear all about it....
    When you get back, read BonBon Rose Girls blog, because you won our giveaway from Fashionflirts.com! It will be perfect for those date nites with the hubby!

     
  • At July 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM , Blogger bestie said...

    two great books. love this post. have a good "unplugged" week! xo

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home