This Page

has been moved to new address

Laundry Survival

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Average Girl's Guide: Laundry Survival

The Average Girl's Guide

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Laundry Survival

I can't be the only person who feels like laundry sometimes takes over their lives right, right?
It can be all consuming. I thought it was intense pre-baby girl, but boy I had no idea.
There's just so much.
And, it doesn't help that we have a two-story house with the W&D on ground one and all the bedrooms on the second. Not convenient for a procrastinator/lazy laundry gal like myself.

So when I get down to it, I want to be sure I'm doing it correctly... and as efficiently as possible..
I always use All Free & Clear detergent so there's no perfumes, and it's safe for those with sensitive skin and allergies. I've been using it since day one with baby girl and she's also a fan.
{Moms: no need to spend the big bucks on Dreft if you ask me; so similar, half the price.}

TIPS TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR LAUNDRY TIME




{pre-treating and washing}
- Keep a stain remover (I love Shout) near your laundry basket. This way you can pre-treat right away and most are fine to leave on clothes at least 5-7 days before washing.
(want to really get it into the fibers with the stain remover? Use an old toothbrush!)
- For bright loads, I've toss in a Shout Color Catcher sheet to prevent color transfer. I've only used it a handful of times but so far, I'm very impressed. HATE when that happens to something I love.
- Use cold-water wash for most items, just no need for hot water.
- Do not overuse detergent; the power-packed ones are specifically designed to use minimal amounts.
- I know it's tempting to stuff clothes in the washer for one less wash, but doing so doesn't effectively clean them. Boo.
- Don't leave clothes in the washer too long; they'll get that icky mildew smell (truth: I'm guilty!).
Re-wash  if this happens.


{drying}
- I'm a huge fan fan of drying on the "low heat" cycle; significantly cuts down on shrinking clothes and unnecessary wear and tear.
- Untangle clothes when moving them from the washer to the dryer.
- Don't use more than one dryer sheet per load; most are even fine if you break them in half!
- Don't keep turning it on to keep the wrinkles out of clothes. Wait until you're ready to fold.
- I now leave a chair by the dryer and fold as the clothes come out; amazingly helpful.
- And, I mentioned this on Facebook: get Downy Wrinkle Releaser to get rid of any wrinkles that you didn't realize you had. I leave it near my closet for convenient access.


photos: via real simple


{additional tips, tricks & resources}
Taking care of our delicates (you know what I'm talking about)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home