This Page

has been moved to new address

5 Must Haves: for a Globe-trotting Gal

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Average Girl's Guide: 5 Must Haves: for a Globe-trotting Gal

The Average Girl's Guide

Thursday, January 20, 2011

5 Must Haves: for a Globe-trotting Gal

Meet Jillian. If you want to know how to successfully pack for adventure, I promise you she is your gal. Along with her hubs, which is how I met her, she just returned from a trip around the world. Yes, a trip around the world... for nearly two years!

She documented the journey on their web site, I Should Log Off, which happens to be an awesome resource for anyone interesting in traveling... anywhere! Chances are she's been there, can tell you the best route to get there and how to have the most authentic experience. In addition to be a fabulous globe-trotting gal (which, by the way, anyone can do with the budget they created!), she's also smart, sassy, gorg and super athletic. She's competed in tri-athalons and adventure races with her man. A Philadelphia native, she's learned over the years how to travel well to fit in the necessities! I'm just thrilled she agreed to share them with all of us.

In her words, here's Jillian's 5 must haves for a globe-trotting gal:

iPod Touch
This thing is invaluable while on the road. I love that iPod Touch apps let me read my email and check currencies offline. I have all sorts of travel related apps on here, and really, its a godsend! With a pdf reader I was able to download all my travel guides right to my iPod Touch, saving me from lugging around heavy travel guides and tons of packing space in my backpack!


Colorful Scarf
No particular brand recommended: I traveled around the world with a scarf I bought in a market in Israel. It was great for spicing up my travel-weary wardrobe and for covering up my shoulders or hair in religious buildings. It made the perfect travel accessory, I don't think I'll ever leave home without one again!
TAGG tip: looking for an inexpensive option? Check out the scarf in the photo, just $5ish on Amazon. Comes in nearly a dozen colors!



Steri Pen
I was most concerned about my health on the road. Having clean drinking water is something we take for granted at home, but on the road it was comforting knowing I had this little thing in my pack whenever things looked suspicious. Sure I could have bought bottled water, but I was uncomfortable with creating that much trash. This was a great option and unlike other water treatment devices, it only took 90 seconds to sterilize drinking water. It's really easy to use and I loved being able to drink straight from the tap (or stream!) everywhere we went.


Eagle Creek Packable Tote
Although a daypack is great, I wanted something a little more fashionable with me for days in the city. Usually the packable bags aren't sturdy enough for heavy duty travel use, but this tote was big enough and sturdy enough to carry all my day to day essentials and still crush easily into my bigger bag. The straps are thick so they don't cut into your shoulders and it comes in lots of different colors, what more can you ask for?
TAGG tip: loving the look of the green bag; there's pretty side detailing!



Multi-purpose make up kit
I don't wear that much makeup at home, but I want a little something with me on the road. Having a mini make up kit was certainly a luxury while backpacking, but one that I wouldn't give up. Having a small go to kit for those days when I just wanted to dress up a bit kept me sane and reminded my husband every once in a while that there was a woman underneath that rough traveler exterior! My kit had three eyeshadows, a blush and some powder, it wasn't everything, but it was enough to make me feel like a woman, even after camping in the Sahara for a week!
TAGG tip: Check out this e.l.f  27-piece mini make-up collection for $15. And, if you're only going on a mini-vacay and want a eye shadow collection, check this out for just $5! I have the larger one for $10 (now back in stock!), and it rocks my globe-trotting (yet at-home!) world! 

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home